Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thank you engine 77!

Date/Time
June 13, 2008, 6:15 p.m.

Setting
Wade has gone camping for the evening. It's just mom and Lucy. Time for dinner.

Plot
Mom: Lucy, do you want some dinner? How about spaghetti?
Lucy: Yum! I love spaghetti!!

Mom goes to the stove and gets a pot started for boiling. Click, click. The sound of the gas stove igniting.

Mom: Hmmm... that will take a while. Let's go watch "So You Think You Can Dance" while the water boils.

Mom and Lucy enjoy So You Think You Can Dance (mostly mom). Lucy shows off a few moves of her own.

Mom: Sniff, sniff. What's that smell? Oh well... maybe someone is BBQ'ing. Oh, my favorite dancer is on next.

A few minutes pass by.

Mom: Sniff, sniff. What?? That smells like..... hmm. Is that gas? Lucy, do you smell something?
Lucy: La, la, la

Mom quickly jumps up from the couch, suddenly realizing that burner didn't ignite! The house is filled with gas. She runs to the stove to turn the gas off, but then realizes that she would have to pass the "ignite" switch in order to turn the stove off!

Mom: What do I do??? Why did dad go camping?? What do I do?? Why did dad go camping?!??

Mom turns the stove as low as it can go and opens all windows and doors, then runs to get Lucy and the phone. She takes all outside, knocking Lucy's knees on the back door and she squeezes through as quickly as possible.

Lucy: Ouch! MOMMMMYY!!!

Lucy is sad. Mom is freaking out. Mom turns on the phone and calls 9-1-1.

Mom: Um, my house smells like gas. I left the stove on (I'm an idoit) and didn't realize it didn't ignite. What do I do?
9-1-1: Okay, mam. Calm down, and then GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! Don't turn anything off. Don't turn off the phone. Don't turn off the lights. Don't turn off So You Think You Can Dance.

Mom freaks out a little bit more. Really?

9-1-1: We're sending out some help.

Mom runs through the house and takes Lucy to a neighbor's house. Then she waits... and waits. It seems like an eternity (actually only 1-1/2 minutes), and then the sirons start blaring. It sounds like the entire fire department is on its way! Mom calls her mom, and her mom laughs at her.

Two firetrucks pull up, and mom looks around to see how many neighbors are peeking out their windows. Only 4 so far. Ten or so firemen get out of their trucks, and 2 men go into the house with nifty equipment and then come back out. One fireman went through the entire house (yes, even mom's bedroom where laundry that was spread and piled all over her bed, waiting for a "better time" to fold it). "I should have folded it! Why didn't I fold it?", she thought. He opened all the windows upstairs, and mom even saw him step on her couch, but that's okay.

After 15 to 20 minutes, they give the "okay" to re-enter the house. Fireman #1 talks to mom about safety (I guess it's a given she needed the lesson). He told her they were happy to come out, though, and that she did the right thing (phew!). He even showed her that if you "quickly" pass the ignite button on your stove, it will not try to ignite, so it's safe to turn off when gas is filling the air. Well, that's a lesson she won't have to learn twice.

So, all in all, Lucy got to meet a fireman in person and mom got to meet 3 new neighbors. As soon as the firemen left, they ran upstairs to take a picture.




Have you ever had a fire truck come to your house? Or even a police officer? Or an ambulance?

How old were you when you met your first fireman?

Did you know that your stove doesn't try to ignite if you quickly pass over it? Did you just go to your stove right now to make sure??

9 comments:

the harpers said...

ahhh Traci!! That would have freaked me out too! I wouldn't have known what to do either. Good thing you thought to not turn the stove off and just call for help. Glad that you are okay and can laugh about it now! By the way...I love the new look of your blog and love seeing you blog again. I've missed you!

Kedra Simpson said...

Oh, my goodness Traci I am so sorry that happened to you. I had no idea you went through that scary ordeal. I am glad that you and Lucy are safe!

lAuRa said...

I would be freaked out too! I get very nervous when it comes to issues with gas!! Glad that nothing happened and you're ok. I only remember an ambulance coming to our house once when my bro. swallowed hydrogen peroxide-I was scared to death. Sirens and ambulances still make me nervous when I hear them!

The Vause's said...

That is so crazy!!! I've actually done that too, but the gas wasn't on too long before I noticed so I just turned it off. I'm glad that nothing serious happened...how scary! It's kinda neat that you had fireman come to your house. I've never had that happen to me or anyone else I know. It makes for a cool story.

Lisita said...

Holy Cow - I was freaking out for you reading it. I'm glad you are all ok! We've never had any fireman or police man at our house but we did have fireman meet us at our car in the Marysville Target parking lot when MG went into anaphlatic shock. We were so grateful they came to our rescue. YOu have a new appreciate for those lights in the vehicle after you've had them come resuce you! Phew - glad you are Ok!!!!!

Lisa R.D. said...

I'm so glad you and Lucy weren't hurt--you acted very wisely! I drove home once (when I was still living at my mom's house) and saw fire trucks and an ambulance parked in front... they were fighting a fire that some neighbor boys (maybe with my brothers? the jury is still out on that) had set where our back yards met. Hopefully we won't have any need for contact with firefighters! We were just talking to them the other day about what to do if there is a fire and Coleman wanted to know if he could stop to get his toys. I think we have a bit more teaching to do :). Glad you are okay!

Terri said...

Okay... I have to put my 2 cents in for a comment here. When Traci called me the night FREEZING outdoors to tell me what had happened... once I knew they were okay... and Traci told me, "I WONDER HOW MUCH THIS IS GONNA COST ME!!!," hearing her relief when she found out it costs NOTHING (besides taxes), and then her exclaiming how embarrassed she was because it sounded like every fire truck in Washington state was driving to her house (I HEARD all the sirens in our conversation)... THAT is when I laughed!!! NOT at Traci, but imaging how embarrassing it would be!!! Great write-up, Trace! Lots of humor (which at the time I'm sure was NOT funny!) I'm just so glad you kept your cool and did the right thing! (Calling 911 was a great idea too!) Love ya!

lblack said...

I am so sorry this happened! I can completely understand how scary this was for you! We had a situation close to this too. Long story short, if Logan hadn't come home early from work that night I don't know what would have happened. Both Kade and I had been sleeping and I didn't even hear him shouting my name as he was standing in our bedroom... very scary but we have learned our lesson right? Glad you two are okay!!!

Cami said...

Hey, Traci, That's a crazy story! So, it's good to hear from you! I can't belive it's been 10 years! Do you like Washington? I live in Oregon about 1 hr from the coast and I love it. I'm actually moving in 3 weeks back to Utah - sigh! Keep in touch!